Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ovarian Cancer, Do You Know the Warning Signs?

It was announced today that Pierce Brosnan's daughter Charlotte lost her battle with ovarian cancer. She is survived by two children and her husband. The reason I mention is because not only did Charlotte die of ovarian cancer so did her mother and grandmother. This clearly suggests a genetic factor because no way did they live identical lives. Sadly, ovarian cancer is so hard to diagnose because so many of the symptoms mimic every day life. Pain during intercourse, bloating, vaginal discharge or just simply a full feeling in your lower abdominal area are all markers for ovarian cancer. I don't know about you but I've experienced each of these and not once did I consider discussing it with my doctor. Reality is none of us do because it is simply part of life. We just can't live in fear of our bodies 24/7.
E-How Offers the following information, I hope you take a moment to read them. Maybe it will save your life. Tonight, I did read them and on my next appointment I will discuss they symptoms I do experience on a regular basis to be safe.

Stage I

  • Stage I is the earliest stage of ovarian cancer. In stage I, the ovarian cancer cells are within one or both of the ovaries.

Stage II

Stage III

  • In stage III ovarian cancer, ovarian cancer cells are found in one or both ovaries. In addition, the cancer has spread beyond the organs of the pelvis into the abdominal lining or the cancer is found in the lymph nodes.

Stage IV

  • Stage IV ovarian cancer is the last stage. Here, the cancer is found in the lungs, liver or any other organs beyond the peritoneal cavity. At this stage, ovarian cancer cells may also be found in the fluid in the lungs.

Survival Rates by Stage

  • The survival rates vary greatly by stage. According to the American Cancer Society, stage I has a 5-year survival rate of 84.7 to 92.7 percent, while stage II has a 5-year survival rate of 64.4 percent to 78.6 percent. Stage III has a survival rate of 31.5 to 50.8 percent, while stage IV has a survival rate of 17.5 percent.


Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_4912659_ovarian-cancer-stages.html#ixzz2Xwlw2sfu


My motivation on posting this tonight was listening to Pierce Brosnan talk candidly about the disease and how it affected his wife and then his daughter. We are always hearing about breast cancer prevention but that is not the only cancer women face. Please make sure you learn the signs and protect yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment