Monday, June 3, 2013

Garden, Online classes, Greek Pasta salad and getting things caught up

Seems like the past week got away from me. My goal this week is to get back on track and settle into the routine I set for myself. Good intentions anyway!

I wish I could say I was crazy productive last week but I wasn't. I was so tired on Tuesday after our trip that I slept most of the day nor did I have a late night on Monday. I just could not shrug the exhaustion, and the headache that was really bugging me. Truthfully, its the first major activity I've tried since before my injury. And apparently, I'm not as good as I thought. I really hoped after the Botox injection on Monday at the beginning of the week, I would be good to go for a few weeks. The last shot I made it three weeks without a headache but I didn't try to resume normal traveling either. I am disappointed that there are still issues.

Wednesday, I tackled all the crazy paper work my attorney sent over. That in itself was mind boggling and contributed to the headache that lingered. Once I began working on the packet, I realized this project was not going to be done in one day. I did get it all done on Thursday. Phew!

I have two online classes going on coursera.com and I hate playing catch up with assignments. Its a work ethic thing for me. Regardless of the fact, the classes are free and without degree credit, I put the same effort and commitment into the programs. The teachers made the time to create the classes/programs. I'm making the time to take advantage of the opportunity I have.  I did well on both quizzes so that made all the crashing worth it.

Friday, I did manage to get the darn weeds under control with my container garden. I live in a gated community so that makes gardening a bit different than what I knew in Maine. I pruned the low branches on the tomato plants, there is no reason to waste valuable plant energy on non producing branches. For the life of me, I don't know why I have so many shoots of grass growing with my plants but they are missing now. I thinned the swiss chard seedlings and brought all the little sprouts up and added them to our scrambled eggs. Yummy! My darling husband scowled a bit seeing all the green in the eggs but he did agree it was tasty.

Saturday, we made  two trips to Home Depot, one for the sink in the kitchen and the second was for the furnace. Plus I just couldn't resist having a few more zinnia's in the yard so a slight detour to the garden center. I simply had to go to the farmers market before planning the weeks menu. Asparagus, like I love pencil thin, sweet tomatoes, garlic, scallions, and spinach were in abundance and that determined our meal choices for the week. And since we were out anyway we hit Wegman's for our weekly contribution for groceries. So by the time we got started with the house projects it was late afternoon. Yes, we did finish them but decided we didn't feel like cooking. Luckily, Stewarts ( a local restaurant like the old A+W's) is close by. We had burgers and fries with lemonade for dinner.

Sunday, we had all the crazy rain storms, and the wind so that meant we worked inside. That worked for us. I didn't feel stressed and had plenty of time to cook a turkey breast in the oven. I decided to have a Greek pasta salad (allrecipes.com)  instead of potatoes and to complete the dining pleasure I sautéed the pencil thin asparagus with the fresh garlic. Absolutely divine tasting, if I do say myself.

Greek Pasta Salad that I added my own touches to which I have below. The original I noted above.
in a large bowl mix together 1/2 c. olive oil, 1/2 c. red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tsps. of each the following  garlic powder, dried basil, oregano. 1 tsp each of the following sugar, black pepper.
I let this set while I cooked 1c. of elbow macaroni al dente. While the pasta was cooking, I halved 20 cherry tomatoes, 1 1/2 c. of diced bite size yellow, red and orange pepper. I/2 cup of chopped green onions,  1 c. of black olives, 1 cucumber peeled and quartered and 3 cups of sliced various mushrooms. I rinsed the pasta with cold water and then added it to the oil mixture and blending it well. Then I added all of the vegetables mixing well and before adding the last ingredient which is 1 c. of Mediterranean style feta cheese. I lightly blended the cheese so not to break it up. Chill 2 hrs. or overnight. I did just 2hrs and it was perfect.

In the version on allrecipe.com they had sliced pepperoni sausage I didn't bother because I wanted to have it as a side. But if you choose to do it as a main course, add it or add chopped salami.

Anyway, it is a perfect combination of vegetables, pasta and amazing flavors.

Monday morning, here we are. I've blogged, cleaned fish tanks and now I am going to log into the Basic writing course refresher course. I really am hoping I will get sentences and tenses straight and improve my writing. Then we will enjoy some leftover salad before I log into the second class business entrepreneurships. Once, that is done it is time to have some real fun and work on the paper pieced blocks that I have going.

Enjoy your day. Hopefully, your will be productive and fun!









No comments:

Post a Comment